Toxic algae shuts Basingstoke Canal stretch
- 3 May 2014
- From the section Hampshire & Isle of Wight
A stretch of a canal in Hampshire has been closed after toxic algae was found.
The Environment Agency has introduced restrictions on the Basingstoke Canal from Ash Lock to Greywell until further notice.
The agency said the blue-green algae is naturally occurring but can cause skin rashes and eye irritation or vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and muscle joint pain.
Signs have been erected warning against touching or going in the water.