Sleep ruined by night noise on Southampton Water

Hythe waterfront The majority of complaints have come from residents in the Hythe and Dibden Purlieu area

Related Stories

Residents in part of Hampshire say they are being disturbed at night by a low-frequency noise.

New Forest District Council and the Environment Agency are investigating complaints about the drone that has been going on for several months.

The noise has been affecting the sleep of residents in the Waterside area, on the western side of Southampton Water.

The council said it had received about 10 complaints about the sound and was conducting out-of-hours monitoring.

The authority said the majority of reports had come from the Hythe and Dibden Purlieu area but people in Holbury and Fawley had also complained.

The Southern Daily Echo reported some people had resorted to sleeping at friends' homes to avoid the noise, which starts at 22:00 BST each night.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Hampshire & Isle of Wight



Min. Night 16 °C


  • Nigel Farage (left) and Douglas CarswellWho's next?

    The Tory MPs being tipped to follow Carswell to UKIP

  • A painting of the White House on fire by Tom FreemanFinders keepers

    The odd objects looted by the British from Washington in 1814

  • Sailing rock in Death ValleyRock and roll

    Mystery of Death Valley's 'sliding rocks' solved - and more tales

  • Chris and Regina Catrambone with their daughter Maria LuisaSOS

    The millionaires who rescue people at sea

  • Plane7 days quiz

    What unusual offence got a Frenchman thrown off a plane?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.