Portsmouth couple and dogs rescued from house blaze

A couple and their two dogs were rescued by firefighters after a blaze broke out in their Hampshire home.

A dozen firefighters were called to tackle the blaze, which is believed to have started when a dehumidifier caught fire in the living room.

The couple, both in their late 20s, and a dog were rescued from a first floor bedroom at the terraced house in Walmer Road, Fratton at about 02:35 BST.

The other dog was rescued from the garden. No-one was injured.

Crew manager Paul Grant from Southsea fire station said: "Luckily the smoke alarm on the stairs alerted the couple.

"The gentleman came downstairs to look to see what it was and saw that it was quite bad.

"He did the right thing. He went back up to the bedroom, closed the door and dialled 999.

"We got them out through the window using a ladder."

'Lie on floor'

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service call handler Lisa Hepplestone gave advice to the couple over the phone until firefighters arrived at the property.

Ms Hepplestone said: "The couple's route of escape was blocked by the fire and so they were told to stay upstairs, in a room where they could shut the door.

"They were then told to block the bottom of the door to stop smoke getting into the room and to open all windows.

"As the smoke from the fire travelled upstairs, the couple were told to lie flat on the ground so that they did not breathe in too much smoke."

The cause of the blaze is not being treated as suspicious.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Weather

Southampton

Min. Night 17 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.