Buddha statue sparks Hampshire house fire

Four people were taken to hospital after fumes from a Buddha statue being filled with expanding foam caused an explosion and house fire in Hampshire.

Crews were called to Churchill Close, Titchfield Common, on Tuesday where a man had been filling the ornament with foam near an open fire.

The man reported an explosion and flash coming from the fire, igniting the carpet, settee and statue.

Crews said it was likely the flammable vapours from the foam aerosol exploded.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue investigations officer Graham Howlett said there were four children and three adults in the house at the time of the explosion, which happened at about 23:19 GMT.

Two adults and two children were taken to hospital after breathing in smoke.

The ground floor of the detached house was severely damaged in the blaze.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Hampshire & Isle of Wight

Weather

Southampton

10 °C 7 °C

Features

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.