Cheltenham Borough Council rejects housing plans
Controversial proposals to build 650 news homes on land in Cheltenham have been rejected by council planners.
Bovis and Miller Homes wanted to build the houses, a GP surgery, offices and a primary school on fields off Kidnappers Lane in Leckhampton.
Outline planning permission was rejected at a Cheltenham Borough Council meeting on Thursday evening.
Campaigners have welcomed the decision. The developers said they were considering their next steps.
Anne Macintosh, from the Leckhampton Green Land Action Group (Leglag), said she was "greatly relieved" by the decision.
A spokesman for Bovis and Miller said: "[We] will now consider the comments of the committee and in the coming days agree the next steps in promoting the application".
The land is within an area earmarked for 33,000 new homes, agreed as part of a housing plan for north Gloucestershire last year.