Sam Podmore died from cooker gas blast

Related Stories

A woman died from severe burns after gas from her cooker exploded while she was lighting a cigarette, an inquest has heard.

Sam Podmore, 34, told a friend who came to help her "the cooker blew up in my face", the hearing at Gloucestershire Coroner's Court was told.

She died 12 hours later in Frenchay Hospital after suffering 90% burns.

Acting Gloucestershire Coroner David Dooley recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

'Blew up'

On the afternoon of 24 April, Miss Podmore was due to meet her friend Stephen Antice in a pub in Tewkesbury.

He told the inquest after realising he had missed a call from her he rang her back and she asked for help.

He went to her flat in the High Street and saw smoke.

"I saw tatters of burnt bits of clothing all around," he said.

"She was saying words to the effect of 'the cooker blew up on me, blew up on my face'."

Steven Critchlow, a gas safety investigator, told the inquest if gas had been escaping from the socket where the cooker connected to the mains supply there would have been evidence of an explosion in the kitchen.

No faults were found with the gas cooker and it had all the correct safety certificates.

Tests carried on out on Miss Podmore revealed a "potentially fatal" alcohol level of almost four times the drink drive limit.

A post-mortem examination found she had died from burns.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Gloucestershire

Weather

Gloucester

23 °C 16 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.