Chelmsford pensioners saved from Humber Road house fire

Two elderly women have been saved from a burning building in Essex by police officers who "braved the choking smoke" to rescue them, police said.

The women, in their 70s and 80s, were trapped in the house on Humber Road, Chelmsford, when the alarm was raised about 21:50 GMT on Friday.

Two officers forced their way into the house, described as "billowing" smoke from a fire in the kitchen.

The pensioners were later taken to Broomfield Hospital to be checked over.

An Essex Police spokesperson said: "Once inside, the two officers called out to the occupants and could hear muffled voices coming from upstairs.

"They quickly realised the fire was coming from the kitchen and closed the door to prevent the fire spreading.

"They then braved the choking smoke to crawl up the stairs and rescue the two women."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Essex

Weather

Chelmsford

Min. Night 4 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.