Essex

Boy suffered chemical burns at Great Dunmow Leisure Centre

  • 11 June 2013
  • From the section Essex

A leisure company faces prosecution after a toddler slipped over at an Essex swimming pool and suffered serious chemical burns.

The boy was due to have his first swimming lesson at Great Dunmow Leisure Centre when he slipped over near a drain in the changing rooms.

He was taken to hospital and later required skin grafts.

Leisure Connection, which declined to comment, is due before Chelmsford magistrates later this month.

The incident on 18 February last year was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive, with Leisure Connection charged under section 3 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

'Tingling skin'

Father and son were leaving the changing room for the pool at about 10:00 GMT, at the same time a member of staff was allegedly squirting a liquid into a floor drain.

It is understood the boy slipped near a second drain, momentarily sat down and cried out.

The father felt his son was wet and his skin was tingling, and so showered the boy.

An air ambulance was called and took the boy to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, which has a specialist burns unit.

He suffered serious burns on his buttock and thigh and needed surgery.

Leisure Connection, which has 70 facilities in the UK, runs the Great Dunmow pool under contract from Uttlesford District Council.

Its websites states it is "the market leader of outsourced quality leisure, cultural and fitness services" to local authorities, private fitness clubs, schools, GPs, health trusts and charities.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites