Colchester town centre car ban faces legal challenge
- 26 March 2013
- From the section Essex
A disability group is threatening legal action over a council's partial ban on cars in a town centre.
Under an order imposed by Essex County Council, cars and delivery vehicles cannot use Colchester's High Street between 11:00 and 18:00.
Fair Access to Colchester has sent a notice of claim calling for a review of the traffic restrictions.
The council said it was aware of the group's claim and said it could not comment further.
The group's chairman Jade Hamnett labelled the traffic order "irrational".
"The council issues blue badges to disabled motorists in recognition that their mobility is severely restricted," she said.
"Why then ignore that and require disabled tax payers to park so far away that they cannot physically access central amenities?
"Our concerns over the changes have not been taken on board, and we now feel like we aren't welcome in our own town."
On Monday an 83-year-old woman was seriously injured in the High Street after being struck by a motorbike.
She was airlifted to Colchester General Hospital and is in a stable condition.
Police have asked for witnesses to come forward.
Two men, aged 18 and 20, were arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.