Southend vet continues operating while surgery burns

Essex firefighters with one of the dogs rescued from the surgery Firefighters with one of the dogs evacuated from the surgery

Firefighters helped a vet to continue operating on a dog after a blaze broke out in an Essex surgery.

Staff at Medivet in Southend were operating on a dog when a fire started in a dishwasher upstairs.

Firefighters from Essex Fire and Rescue Service tackled the blaze and ventilated the operating theatre enabling the vet to complete the surgery.

Animals at the vet's were transferred to another nearby practice.

A spokesman from the fire service said: "The main problem was the smoke-logged building.

"Crews assessed the situation and decided it would be safe for the operation to continue."

A high pressure fan was used to clear the building of smoke.

The fire was brought under control in a little over 30 minutes.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Essex

Weather

Chelmsford

12 °C 10 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.