Bournemouth students flats fire caused by clothing on heater

Flats, St Peter's Road Bournemouth The fire damaged the top floor and the roof of the student accommodation

Clothing touching a heater caused a fire in a block of flats housing students in central Bournemouth, the fire service has said.

The blaze started in the top floor and spread through the roof of the building in St Peter's Road just after 08:40 BST.

Firefighters led those inside the five-storey building to safety. No-one was injured.

Students living on the top floor have been given alternative accommodation.

St Peter's Road was closed in both directions between the Hinton Road junction and the Glen Fern Road junction while the fire was dealt with.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset

Weather

Bournemouth

10 °C 1 °C

Features

  • Firth of Forth bridgeWhat came Firth?

    How the Forth was crossed before the famous bridge


  • Petrol pumpPumping up

    Why are petrol prices rising again?


  • Image of George from Tube CrushTube crush

    How London's male commuters set Chinese hearts racing


  • Elderly manSuicide decline

    The number of old people killing themselves has fallen. Why?


  • TricycleTreasure trove

    The lost property shop stuffed with diamonds, bikes... and a leg


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.