Dorset village hall cordoned off after gas mains fire

The two semi-detached houses that caught fire The gas main ruptured, but did not catch fire, and is being fixed by engineers

Two houses caught fire and a gas main ruptured, causing neighbours to flee their homes.

A village hall and 25 homes were evacuated and cordoned off during the blaze at Vale Road in the Dorset village of Stalbridge.

Two semi-detached houses caught fire at 08:30 BST and the gas main ruptured three hours later.

A 100m cordon was put up and people were urged to avoid the area while it was being made safe.

A spokeswoman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said the gas main had ruptured but had not caught fire.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset

Weather

Bournemouth

12 °C 12 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.