Revived Wimborne Folk Festival under way
- 8 June 2013
- From the section Dorset
A folk festival which was revived by volunteers after being closed last year is under way in Dorset.
Wimborne Minster Folk Festival was first held in 1980 and regularly attracted crowds of up to 30,000.
Volunteers took over the running of the annual event following a social media campaign when its previous organisers retired citing financial reasons.
Several roads in the town are closed, including Wimborne Square, and police said extra officers would be on duty.
Mike Carhart-Harris, chair of the festival committee, said: "We are absolutely delighted that the community has come together with the support of the district and town councils and local businesses to bring the folk festival back this year."
In March, East Dorset District Council pledged half of the £28,000 running costs of this year's music and dance event.
Dorset Police said there would be an "enhanced level of policing" to deal with any alcohol-related crime and anti-social behaviour during the event, which runs until Sunday.
The force added it also had an order in place to disperse groups of people if necessary.