Jade Clark 'hit-and-run' death: Kent man, 58, charged

  • 22 March 2013
  • From the section England
Jade Clark's funeral at Bournemouth Crematorium
Image caption About 200 people attended Jade Clark's funeral at Bournemouth Crematorium

Police investigating the death of a 16-year-old girl in a suspected hit-and-run in Dorset have charged a man.

Moped rider Jade Clark, from Ringwood, Hampshire died on 24 February in a collision with a Volvo XC90 on the A31 at Ashley Heath.

Brian Hampton, 58, was arrested at an address in Ashford, Kent, on Thursday morning.

He has been charged with causing death by careless driving, failing to stop and driving while disqualified.

Mr Hampton will appear at Bournemouth Magistrates Court on Saturday.

Officers also seized a Volvo XC90 when they arrested Mr Hampton.

Earlier on Friday hundreds of people attended Jade's funeral at Bournemouth Crematorium, many wearing her favourite colours of pink and black.

'Brilliant young lady'

Ins Matt Butler, of the Dorset Police Traffic Unit, said: "Following a thorough investigation I can now confirm that the arrested man has been charged.

"I would like to express my personal gratitude to the local community and the media for the huge amount of support that has been shown to this investigation."

Before Mr Hampton's arrest, officers ruled out more than 1,000 vehicles registered between 2003 and 2007.

Rewards totalling £15,000 were offered for information leading to a charge.

Image caption Jade Clark was a member of the Hampshire Young Firefighters Association

Kevin Morrison, the watch manager at Ringwood fire station where Jade was a member of the Young Fire Fighters Association, paid tribute to her at the funeral service.

"Jade was a brilliant young lady, brilliant cadet, she had a wicked sense of humour, was bubbly, knew where she was going in life," he said.

He added her death was a "tragic loss" and said she would be sorely missed.

The cortege was led by a fire engine, and Hampshire firefighters dressed in ceremonial uniform carried Jade's coffin into the chapel while one member of the fire service carried her helmet and uniform.

A post-mortem examination showed Jade died from head injuries.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites