Sandbanks Hotel evacuated due to chemical gas leak

Staff and guests were evacuated from a hotel in Dorset following a chemical gas leak.

Fire crews were called to Sandbanks Hotel in Poole on Friday morning after a leak involving chlorine gas.

About 50 people were evacuated. Four casualties were treated at the scene and another was taken to hospital.

Crews have since isolated the leak and a 60m cordon, which closed part of the beach and Banks Road surrounding the hotel, has been lifted.

The exclusive Sandbanks peninsular has some of the most expensive homes in the world, including that of Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset



Min. Night 5 °C


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.