Underpants in microwave caused Weymouth fire

A man who tried to dry his underpants and socks in the microwave accidentally set fire to his flat, the fire service has said.

The blaze was spotted at the second floor flat on Market Street in Weymouth at about 22:45 BST on Sunday.

The man was led to safety by other people living in the block of flats.

A spokeswoman for Dorset Fire Service said the man had been trying to dry two pairs of underpants and two pairs of socks.

"The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them," she said.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset

Weather

Bournemouth

12 °C 8 °C

Features

  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two


  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa


  • Worcestershire flagFlying the flag

    Preserving the identities of England's counties


  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health


  • Two women in  JohanesburgYour pictures

    Readers' photos on the theme of South Africa


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.