Poole toddler died in blind cord accident

A toddler died after becoming entangled in a blind cord in his bedroom in Dorset, an inquest has heard.

Rithik Chakrabarti, who was 18 months old, was found with his head caught up in the cord in his bed on 5 May.

The court heard he was taken to Poole Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The coroner at Bournemouth recorded a verdict of accidental death.

The boy was discovered by his father Amitabha Chakrabarti in an awkward position in their family home in Poole.

He had gone to check on his son who had been asleep but found him lying there "lifeless, cold and blue".

Describing events, Mr Chakrabarti broke down in tears and said: "I thought this [bed] was the safest place in the world."

Tried to resuscitate

The Roman blind around Rithik's neck was so tight it had to be cut off with scissors.

Mr Chakrabarti and his wife tried to resuscitate their son and paramedics were called.

The toddler was taken to hospital by ambulance but was pronounced dead about 20 minutes after he arrived there.

A post-mortem examination found Rithik died from asphyxia due to ligature compression of the neck.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) said: "We typically hear about one or two children dying after becoming entangled in blind cords in the UK each year and there are many more near misses.

"The danger for young children is that a loop which hangs at waist height for an adult could slip around the neck of a young child if he or she falls or, if the loop is at floor level, it could become wrapped around the neck of a baby who is crawling."

Rospa said a majority of blind cord accidents happened in the bedroom and involved children aged between 16 and 36 months old.

Dorset Police described it as a "tragic accident".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Dorset



11 °C 10 °C


  • photo of patient zero, two year-old Emile OuamounoPatient zero

    Tracking first Ebola victim and and how virus spread

  • A young Chinese girl looks at an image of BarbieBarbie's battle

    Can the doll make it in China at the second attempt?

  • Prosperi in the 1994 MdSLost in the desert

    How I drank urine and bat blood to survive in the Sahara

  • Afghan interpetersBlacklisted

    The Afghan interpreters left by the US to the mercy of the Taliban

  • Flooded homesNo respite

    Many hit by last winter's floods are struggling to pay soaring insurance bills

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.