Plymouth pubs and clubs evacuated after gas leak

Millennium nightclub Christian broadcaster God TV wants to create a place of worship

Revellers were evacuated from pubs and a nightclub in Plymouth's Union Street after a gas leak.

A ruptured pipe inside the disused Millennium nightclub was found to be the source of the leak at 03:00 BST.

The street was closed to pedestrians and vehicles and up to 300 people were evacuated from the Two Trees and Crash Manor pubs, Jesters nightclub and fast food takeaways.

There were no injuries and the street was reopened shortly before 05:00.

Ambulance crews, firefighters, council officials and gas engineers were called to the site.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the road was closed "in order to ensure public safety".

The force said: "It was believed that potentially the gas may have been leaking for some time inside the building from a ruptured pipe.

"Police officers guided revellers outside the cordoned area. Local fast food outlets were also evacuated.

"There were no reports of disorder as a result of the evacuation."

The international Christian broadcaster God TV wants to turn the former nightclub into a base for worship.

It has submitted a planning application to the city council for a change of use from nightclub to "place of worship with ancillary activities".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Devon



Min. Night 7 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.