Ashreighney fire damages workshop thatched house

Ashreighney fire Winds resulted in the fire spreading to the house's thatch roof

A workshop and neighbouring thatched house have been damaged in a fire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in the village of Ashreighney, near Chulmleigh, Devon, at about 11:00 BST.

Fuel in the workshop caught fire and winds resulted in it spreading to the house's thatch roof, Devon and Somerset Fire Service said.

One person who was at the property in the "quite remote location" at the time was not injured. Crews salvaged belongings from the property.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Devon



7 °C 3 °C


  • A very clever little girlBrain gain

    Why are people getting better at intelligence tests?

  • BeefaloBeefalo hunt

    The hybrid animal causing havoc in the Grand Canyon

  • A British Rail signBringing back BR

    Would it be realistic to renationalise the railways?

  • Banksy image of girl letting go of heart-shaped balloonFrom the heart

    Fergal Keane on the relationship between love and politics

  • Don Roberto Placa Quiet Don

    The world's worst interview - with one of the loneliest men on Earth

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.