Travellers leave illegal camp at Cadover Bridge

Cadover Bridge travellers, January 2013 The travellers at the Cadover site on Dartmoor left two trailers of rubbish

Related Stories

Travellers who set up an illegal camp on a well-known beauty spot on Dartmoor, left the site "peacefully", the National Trust has said.

The 50 travellers moved on to Cadover Bridge on 17 January after they had been evicted from a car park in the centre of Teignmouth.

The National Trust said two large trailers were needed to remove the rubbish the travellers left behind.

It said the site would be cleared and ready for the public by Thursday.

Gus Fergusson, the National Trust's head ranger, said the travellers "left last night and it was quite peaceful, but there was a mess left behind".

"We've had four of five people clearing up there today and they've filled two large trailers."

Cadover Bridge is within Dartmoor National Park, but the land is owned by the National Trust.

The trust had applied for a court order to move the travellers, but they claimed they intended to return to Ireland.

It is not known where the travellers have moved to.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Devon

Weather

Plymouth

Min. Night 6 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.