Boy treated for CO gas poisoning at Dawlish caravan park

A three-year-old boy has been treated for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan site in Devon.

The emergency services were called to the site on Exeter Road, in Dawlish, after a detector alarm sounded in the caravan where he was staying.

The gas was found to be leaking from a lamp, a spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said.

The colourless and odourless gas reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen and can be fatal.

It is produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.

The boy was checked by paramedics at the scene early on Saturday morning.

A spokesman from the fire service said: "This reinforces the importance of being careful when using fossil fuels in enclosed spaces and the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Devon

Weather

Plymouth

14 °C 10 °C

Features

  • The Duchess and Duke of Cambridge and Prince GeorgeGorgeous George

    Baby steals show as tour reveals rise in support for monarchy


  • Houses of ParliamentBig impact?

    How a Scottish Yes vote would change the UK Parliament


  • Kim Jong-un visits a children's campThe Notepad Men

    Who are the people who take down Kim Jong-un's every word?


  • Donald Tusk7 days quiz

    What made Poland's prime minister become an internet hit?


  • Beebcoins logoMaking money

    How easy is to coin your own virtual currency?


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.