Devon

Two in hospital after Halwill Junction house fire

  • 28 June 2011
  • From the section Devon

A man and his mother were taken to hospital after escaping from a fire which destroyed their Devon home.

They were left suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after the fire at the house on Station Road, Halwill Junction, on Monday night.

Neighbouring houses were evacuated as the blaze spread to two garages. Part of the house's roof collapsed.

Devon and Somerset Fire Service said the cause of the fire was believed to be accidental.

Neighbour Sandra Worrell told BBC Radio Devon: "It was terrible seeing it, absolutely awful in the daylight.

"They're coming home to this, they have nothing, nothing to come home to.

"The intensity of the fire means everyone was very lucky to have got out."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites