'Combustible materials' cause of fatal Morton fire
- 5 February 2016
- From the section Derby
A house fire in which a man died was 'most probably' caused by combustible materials being left too close to a portable electric heater, a fire service has claimed.
Firefighters rescued a 69-year-old man from a village farmhouse after being called to Pilsley Road in Morton, near Alfreton, at 20:45 GMT on Wednesday.
They tried to resuscitate him but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Crews have now issued safety advice on portable heaters and smoke alarms.
The cause of that blaze was a halogen heater left too close to clothing or soft furnishings.