Long Eaton fire forces pet shop animals rescue
- 2 August 2014
- From the section Derby
Firefighters rescued rabbits, tortoises and budgies from a pet shop when they were endangered by smoke from a nearby fire.
They revived one budgie by giving it oxygen, but four budgies died despite the efforts of Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service.
The fire broke out at a woodyard in Long Eaton.
Six fire crews were called to Acton Business Park at about 20:45 BST on Friday to deal with the large fire.
The fire is thought to have been started by an overheated fridge, before spreading and setting alight to a large amount of wood.