North Wingfield house fire: Funeral held for mother and sons

Jordan Green, left, and his brother Tyler Green Jordan and Tyler Green were pulled from the first floor of the house

A funeral has been held for a mother and her two children who died in a house fire in north Derbyshire.

Josie Leighton, 32, and her sons Jordan Green, nine, and Tyler Green, 12, died from the effects of smoke inhalation after the blaze in North Wingfield.

The service took place at St Lawrence's Church in North Wingfield with the burials at Dark Lane Cemetery.

The funeral of Ms Leighton's friend Claire James, 27, who also died in the fire, was held on Wednesday.

Ms James's seven-year-old daughter escaped with minor injuries after the blaze, which broke out on 20 November.

Community support

Derbyshire Fire Service said the fire had been caused by faulty electrical wiring.

More than £5,000 was raised last weekend by members of the community for the funerals of the four victims.

Josie Leighton with her son Tyler Green Josie Leighton died in the fire along with her two sons

The Rev Colin Cooper, who led the service, said: "There has been a sense of people working together in the village.

"A number of initiatives have taken place to raise money and it has been impressive.

"A huge amount of compassion and kindness has been shown by the people of North Wingfield."

Danette Bradder, one of the organisers of the fundraiser, said she had been amazed by the support everyone in the town had shown the two families.

"I knew the community in North Wingfield would pull together because everybody knew them," she said.

"So we just wanted to do something as a community to help both families, while giving them time to grieve."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Derby

Weather

Derby

Min. Night 8 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.