Victoria Martindale spared jail over Stanley Common gas death

Dr Victoria Martindale Martindale had previously admitted seven counts of breaching gas safety regulations

A landlord whose tenant died of carbon monoxide poisoning after she failed to carry out gas safety checks has been spared jail.

Stephen Newton, 51, died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning at the house in Stanley Common, near Ilkeston, in 2009.

Victoria Martindale, 39, admitted seven counts of breaching gas safety regulations over a four-year period.

She was given a 16-month suspended sentence at Derby Crown Court.

'Avoidable tragedy'

She was also ordered to complete 200 hours of community service and fined £4,000.

A statement released by the family of Mr Newton after the hearing said the verdict "marks the end of a difficult process which has lasted almost four years".

"It has been a time of deep emotional loss and suffering - a sister has lost her brother, a father has lost his son, and more poignantly, two sons have lost their father.

"This sense of loss will not end today."

Boiler at the property The court was told Ms Martindale failed to arrange for an annual inspection of the gas boiler

The court had previously heard Mr Newton was found dead by friends on his 51st birthday. His partner was found unconscious in bed but was saved by paramedics.

Mr Newton was found slumped in a chair after reconnecting the gas boiler, which had been condemned 18 months earlier.

He failed to pass the engineer's report on to Ms Martindale.

However, Ms Martindale was told she was responsible for carrying out annual gas safety checks, which she failed to do.

The judge said "This was an avoidable tragedy and as an amateur landlord she had shut her eyes to her responsibility."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Derby

Weather

Derby

Min. Night 5 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.