Toxic smoke alert over Carlisle recycling centre fire

Carlisle waste site fire Nearby homes and businesses were told to keep doors and windows closed

People close to the site of a recycling centre fire in Carlisle have been warned about the risks of toxic smoke.

The blaze broke out at the Cumbria Waste Management Centre on Kingmoor Road at about 16:00 BST on Thursday.

Roads were closed and nearby homes and businesses told to keep doors and windows closed amid concerns billowing smoke contained asbestos.

A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was under control but smoke was still an issue.

Cumbria Police added that anyone who might have inhaled smoke and was feeling unwell should seek medical help.

The site was evacuated when the fire broke out. No-one is believed to have been hurt.

An investigation into the cause is ongoing.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cumbria

Weather

Carlisle

8 °C 4 °C

Features

  • Firth of Forth bridgeWhat came Firth?

    How the Forth was crossed before the famous bridge


  • Petrol pumpPumping up

    Why are petrol prices rising again?


  • Image of George from Tube CrushTube crush

    How London's male commuters set Chinese hearts racing


  • Elderly manSuicide decline

    The number of old people killing themselves has fallen. Why?


  • TricycleTreasure trove

    The lost property shop stuffed with diamonds, bikes... and a leg


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.