Warning after blue-green algae found on Windermere

Related Stories

People are being warned to take care after potentially harmful blue-green algae was discovered on part of Windermere.

The algae, which can cause rashes on direct contact with skin and illness if affected water is swallowed, was found at the Millerground area of the lake.

South Lakeland District Council said it had been informed after water sampling by the Environment Agency.

Notices have been put up on trees in the area to warn people.

Council public protection manager Phil Greenup said only this area was affected by the algae.

He said: "Blue-green algae can potentially make people feel quite ill if swallowed or even by just swimming in it.

"We want the public to be aware of the effects and are asking people to be extra careful and vigilant when using the lakes and rivers for recreational purposes during the summer months.

"People should observe any notices near affected areas and avoid contact or drinking water from areas identified."

Blue-green algae blooms often form during mid to late summer . As well as rashes, the toxins they produce can cause blisters, joint and muscle pain, diarrhoea and vomiting.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cumbria

Weather

Carlisle

Min. Night 11 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.