Piotr Kulinski murder trial: Men jailed for life

  • 24 May 2013
  • From the section Cumbria
Sylwester Kawalec, Piotr Zygner and Pauline Mucha
Image caption Kawalec, left, Zygner and Mucha were all known to the victim

Two men have been jailed for life after being found guilty of murdering a Polish factory worker in Carlisle.

Piotr Kulinski, 32, was stabbed to death outside his home in the Harraby area of the city in October.

Sylwester Kawalec, 23, and Piotr Zygner, 30, both of Currock Road, Carlisle, were given minimum sentences of 22 years and 28 years respectively.

Judge Paul Batty QC described their actions as a "murderous attack on a defenceless man".

Mr Kulinksi was stabbed seven times early on a Sunday morning.

Cumbria Police said he had previously lived with one of the defendants and was scared for his family after an earlier incident when he had been assaulted and threatened.

Zygner's girlfriend Pauline Mucha, also of Currock Road, was jailed for seven years for manslaughter and four years for perverting the course of justice.

Image caption Factory worker Piotr Kulinski was stabbed seven times

The 26-year-old, who drove the men away from the scene, was found guilty of manslaughter but cleared of murder.

She admitted perverting the course of justice along with Kawalec. Zygner denied the same charge, but was found guilty at Carlisle Crown Court.

Det Ch Insp Paul Duhig, who led the investigation, said: "Mr Kulinski was murdered by people he had known for a considerable period, in some cases many years.

"He previously lived with one of the defendants but their relationship deteriorated and he had been in dispute with them for some time.

"The actions of Zygner, Kawalec and Mucha demonstrated how this was a premeditated attack.

"No-one goes to an address at 6am on a Sunday morning for a social visit. These three people went to that address with the intention of attacking Mr Kulinski."

Image caption Karpuk, Woszczyna and Skoczen were jailed for conspiracy

Three other men were jailed for their roles after the killing.

Artur Skoczen, 30, and Artur Woszczyna, 44, both of Carlisle, were also found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Skoczen, from Ashman Close, was jailed for five years and Wosczyna, of Beveley Rise, was sentenced to 10 years.

Adam Karpuk admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. The 23-year-old, of Summerhill, Carlisle, was jailed for three years and four months.

Mr Duhig added: "I would like to thank the members of the Polish community who contacted us during the investigation about the events that led up to this incident.

"We want to protect all members of the community and will not tolerate people taking the law into their own hands and threatening or assaulting residents in Cumbria."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites