Piotr Kulinski murder trial: Pair guilty
- 22 May 2013
- From the section Cumbria
Two men have been found guilty of murdering a Polish factory worker who was stabbed to death outside his own home in Carlisle.
Piotr Kulinski, 32, died in the attack outside his home in the Harraby area of the city on 14 October.
Piotr Zygner, 30 and Sylwester Kawalec, 23, both of Currock Road, Carlisle, denied murder, but were convicted at the city's crown court.
Pauline Mucha, 26, was found guilty of manslaughter but cleared of murder.
She had denied murder, but admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Kawalec had already admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. Zygner had denied the same charge, but was found guilty.
Two other men, Artur Skoczen, 30, and Artur Wosczyna, 44, both of Carlisle, were also found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Adam Karpuk, 23, had previously admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Judge Paul Batty QC remanded the six in custody and they will be sentenced on Friday.
During the six-week hearing, Zygner said he stabbed Mr Kulinski while trying to protect Kawalec.
He said that he and Kawalec, driven there by Ms Mucha, had gone to the victim's house to pay protection money he had previously demanded and that Mr Kulinski came out shouting abuse and acting as if he intended to attack him.
Zygner claimed he noticed a knife on the ground, picked it up and stabbed Mr Kulinski in the back in a bid to stop him beating up his co-defendant.
The court was told he had suffered seven stab wounds, two of them alone were severe enough to have killed him.
Mr Kulinski's partner, Katrina Plominska, said that prior to the attack he had told police he had been having problems with the two male defendants after he bumped into Kawalec in a pub.