Windermere boat survivor Matthew Eteson out of hospital

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionPolice are investigating whether the deaths were the result of carbon monoxide poisoning

A man who survived a suspected carbon monoxide leak on his boat which killed his partner and her daughter has left hospital, police said.

Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, of Leyland, Lancashire, were airlifted from Windermere to Royal Lancaster Infirmary where they died.

Ms Webster's partner Matthew Eteson, 39, also from Leyland, was taken to hospital but has now been released.

Cumbria Police said it was likely the mother and child died of gas poisoning.

It is understood one theory involves the use of a generator on the boat, which may have been faulty.

Breathing masks

Cumbria Police said officers were called to reports three people on the boat were having serious breathing difficulties.

A spokeswoman said: "Police were alerted by the ambulance service after it was reported three people on a privately-owned boat were having serious breathing difficulties.

"On arrival, Mrs Webster and her daughter, Lauren, were being treated by paramedics and were airlifted to Royal Lancaster Infirmary, where they tragically died.

"Police are not treating the deaths as suspicious, and it is suspected that the deaths were caused by some form of gas poisoning. Inquiries continue to be conducted by officers on behalf of the coroner."

The incident, at a jetty near Bowness, was witnessed by Dragon's Den star Duncan Bannatyne, who remarked on the police and ambulance activity to his followers on Twitter.

He later posted a photograph of the scene, saying: "Tragic accident over there I am afraid."

Other eyewitnesses reported seeing firefighters entering the boat wearing breathing masks.

Joshua Kynaston, from Bolton, said: "I was in an ice-cream shop in Bowness when I heard ambulances.

"Shortly after they started racing up and down the road until they stopped right in front of me. The medics jumped out and ran towards the boat.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionJoshua Kynaston saw the victims airlifted to hospital

"The medics jumped aboard the boat and pulled the victims off.

"From where I was, I could partly see past the sheet where the medics were still working hard and dragging defibrillators and other portable medical machinery from the ambulances.

"Someone was taken off in a helicopter. Another person had countless amounts of CPR.

"Some of the firemen started to board the problem ship to search for the leak. They were in full suits with air tanks, not oxygen tanks."

Nigel Wilkinson, from Windermere Lake Cruises, said public cruisers were diverted while the emergency services worked at the scene.

He said police, fire, ambulance, lake wardens, community first responders and the Great North Air Ambulance and the North West Air Ambulance were all involved.

He said there was a feeling of "great sadness" in the area.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites