Kendal Calling overhead 11,000 volt cable 'an obvious risk'

An 11,000 volt overhead cable that left a man with brain injuries during an electric shock was a "serious and obvious" risk, a court has heard.

Donald Berry, 46, of Radcliffe, near Bury, suffered "serious injuries" when his crane hit the cable at the Kendal Calling music festival in 2010.

Carlisle Crown Court heard an "amateur" could have spotted the "risk".

Jason Piper and his company Piper Event Services Limited, both deny offences under health and safety laws.

Piper Event Services Limited, of Howle Hill, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, and the company's director, Jason Warren Piper, 47, of Wye Street, Ross-on-Wye, are both accused of one count of contravening health and safety regulations.

The organisers of the festival, Kendal Calling Ltd, previously pleaded guilty to exposing an employee to risk by failing to discharge its duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Mr Berry suffered brain injuries and is still in "a terrible condition", the court heard.

The charges were brought by Eden District Council, which alleges the organisers failed to ensure the safety of people, including Mr Berry, who were working at the site.

The trial continues.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cumbria

Weather

Carlisle

Min. Night 9 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.