Rugby boy, 16, seriously burned by power cable

warning sign Overhead railway power cables have a 25,000-volt current

Related Stories

A 16-year-old boy is in intensive care with serious burns after touching a 25,000-volt overhead power cable while playing in a railway yard.

The teenager was with two friends at a depot near Rugby railway station, Warwickshire, at about 22:00 BST on Tuesday.

He had climbed on top of a stationary freight train when he touched the cable by accident, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

The line was closed for about an hour.

The boy, who is from the Rugby area, was taken to University Hospital in Coventry and has since been transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham where he remains in intensive care in a stable condition.

His two friends were uninjured. A British Transport Police spokesman said: "Officers will be speaking to them in due course to ascertain further details about exactly what happened.

"The injured boy's family is aware of the incident and officers are providing them with support at this difficult time."

There are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances, he added.

Network Rail, which runs the depot, urged people to only enter areas of the railway clearly marked for public use.

"Accessing the railway without permission is extremely dangerous with many hazards which pose a serious risk to life," a spokesman said.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

Weather

Coventry

20 °C 15 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.