Cornwall

Indian Queens fire family saved by smoke detector

Fradden fire smoke detector
Image caption Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said the smoke alarm woke the family and saved their lives

A smoke alarm has saved the lives of a family with two young children when a fire broke out in their home in Cornwall.

The fire at the mid-terraced house in Higher Fradden, near Indian Queens, broke out just after 06:00 GMT.

Neighbours helped the family escape after a smoke detector alerted them to the fire, which is believed to have started in the kitchen.

One person was treated by paramedics for the effects of breathing in smoke.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said the smoke alarm saved the family's lives as they were asleep when the fire took hold.

The council said it was trying to organise emergency housing for the family, who were renting the property.