Great Trethew Manor Country Hotel fire 'was accidental'

Great Trethew Manor Country Hotel on fire Firefighters tackled the flames, which quickly broke through the roof

Related Stories

A blaze that tore through a country house hotel was accidental, fire investigators have said.

More than 50 firefighters were called to the Great Trethew Manor Country Hotel in Horningtops, near Liskeard in Cornwall, on Tuesday.

At one point, the heat was so intense that crews were forced to suspend their battle against the flames.

Cornwall Fire Service said no other details were available but the cause had been ruled accidental.

Fire crews from Cornwall and Devon were called to the three-storey building on Tuesday afternoon, with firefighters remaining at the scene overnight.

An investigation was started on Wednesday.

The manor house is a family-run hotel with holiday cottages and camping within its 40-acre grounds.

It was fully booked, but most of the guests were out when the fire started.

Nearby residents initially offered temporary accommodation for some of the guests and there were no reports of injuries.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cornwall



Min. Night 4 °C


Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.