Inflated 'balloon' hedgehog saved from 'rupturing' by vet

Inflated hedgehog Vets feared the hedgehog would starve or suffocate

Related Stories

An inflated hedgehog has been saved from "rupturing" by vets who pricked it with a needle.

The animal, which was suffering from a rare condition in its belly called balloon syndrome, had swollen to twice its normal size.

Vets in Bude, Cornwall, think the animal swelled up after picking up an infection and gas was produced by bacteria.

The hedgehog is now being fed worms before being released.

Adam Revitt, of Locke and Preston Vets, who looked after the hedgehog when it was brought to them in early May, said: "If it had continued to blow up it could have ruptured.

"More concern to me was that the air was putting pressure on the hedgehog's chest so it couldn't breath or move, therefore there was a danger of it suffocating or starving to death.

"I used a needle and syringe to drain the air. It took about five minutes to drain all the air out."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cornwall

Weather

Truro

Min. Night 4 °C

Features

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.