Cornwall

Schoolboy Charlie Alford died after inhaling lighter fuel

Charlie Alford tribute page on Facebook
Image caption Tributes were paid to Charlie Alford on Facebook

A teenager found collapsed in a college toilet died after inhaling cigarette lighter fuel, an inquest heard.

Charlie Alford, 16, was discovered slumped on the floor of a toilet cubicle at Cornwall College's Saltash campus on 26 September last year.

He died later at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, despite attempts by staff to resuscitate him.

At the inquest in Plymouth, Coroner Ian Arrow recorded a verdict of accidental death caused by butane toxicity.

'Cheeky charmer'

The inquest heard Charlie had been seeing a support worker for help with his cannabis abuse, admitting he had been smoking the drug every day when he first sought help the year before his death.

He denied using solvents, but a butane can was recovered from next to his body and cannabis and butane were both present in his system.

The coroner said: "I am satisfied that Charlie went into a toilet and released gas from a butane can. He was overcome and fell unconscious.

"There is no evidence of him trying to hurt himself."

In a statement, Jan Langley, Charlie's lecturer at Cornwall College Saltash, described the teenager as "a cheeky charmer who you couldn't help but like".

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites