Cornwall

Two people hurt in Trevanion Lodge guest house fire

  • 14 October 2012
  • From the section Cornwall
Trevanion Lodge, October 2012
Devon and Cornwall Police said the fire was being treated as suspicious

Two people have been taken to hospital suffering from burns after an explosion and fire at a guest house in Cornwall.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said the alarm was raised at about 23:30 BST on Saturday.

Nearly 20 firefighters tackled the blaze on the first floor of Trevanion Lodge in Trevanion Road, St Austell.

A total of 15 people were moved to safety - eight of whom were treated by paramedics for the effects of breathing in smoke.

South Western Ambulance Service said two men were treated at the scene for burns before they were taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro.

Their conditions are not known, but are not thought to be life-threatening.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the fire was being treated as suspicious.

Insp Andy Oliver said: "One line of inquiry we're looking at is that two men were reportedly inhaling butane gas in a bedroom shortly before a small explosion was heard."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites