Ten overcome by BBQ used to 'warm Sawston home'

A current carbon monoxide alarm Residents were alerted by a carbon monoxide alarm fitted at the property

Ten people had to be taken to hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue thought to have been used to warm a house.

All 13 people escaped from the property in Plantation Road in Sawston, Cambridgeshire, at about 01:30 BST, after a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

However, 10 had to be taken to hospital in ambulances.

A fire service spokesman said using a barbecue indoors was "extremely dangerous" and also a fire hazard.

'Silent killer'

Wayne Swales, from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said barbecues, designed for outdoor use only, should never be brought inside a property.

"Not only does it put the residents at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, but it is also a serious fire hazard," he said.

"Luckily, this property was fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm, which alerted the residents to the situation so they were able to seek help.

"Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and we would urge residents to think about fitting a carbon monoxide detector in their properties."

The East of England Ambulance Service sent four ambulances and a hazardous area response team to the scene.

A spokesman said none of the 10 taken to hospital "were believed to be critically ill".

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cambridgeshire

Weather

Cambridge

Min. Night 5 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.