Cambridgeshire

Reflected sun causes 'unusual' Peterborough fire

A "very unusual" house fire was probably caused by sunlight reflecting off a magnifying mirror, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has said.

The fire, at about 11:00 GMT in a house in Elton, near Peterborough, was safely extinguished by the owners.

But Watch Commander Rob Allport, said: "Myself and the fire investigation officer have never seen anything like it in our 28 years of firefighting.

"We think the reflected sun caused a body-warmer to catch fire."

He said the couple were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm and used wet towels to contain the blaze.

Mr Allport praised their "quick intervention" which he said "probably prevented the house from being very seriously damaged".

No one was injured in the incident.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites