Reflected sun causes 'unusual' Peterborough fire

Related Stories

A "very unusual" house fire was probably caused by sunlight reflecting off a magnifying mirror, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service has said.

The fire, at about 11:00 GMT in a house in Elton, near Peterborough, was safely extinguished by the owners.

But Watch Commander Rob Allport, said: "Myself and the fire investigation officer have never seen anything like it in our 28 years of firefighting.

"We think the reflected sun caused a body-warmer to catch fire."

He said the couple were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm and used wet towels to contain the blaze.

Mr Allport praised their "quick intervention" which he said "probably prevented the house from being very seriously damaged".

No one was injured in the incident.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cambridgeshire

Weather

Cambridge

16 °C 9 °C

Features

  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two


  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa


  • Peter MatthiessenPeter and Paddy

    Remembering two of the greatest travel writers


  • Worcestershire flagFlying the flag

    Preserving the identities of England's counties


  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health


BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.