16 January 2012
Last updated at 18:21
Photographs taken by Captain Robert Falcon Scott of the ill-fated British expedition to the South Pole have been purchased with assistance from Heritage Lottery funding for the Scott Polar Research Institute (SPRI) in Cambridge. This image, dated 13 December 1911, shows Henry Robertson Bowers' sledge team on Beardmore Glacier. Edward Wilson is pushing while Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans make repairs.
Scott's team reached the South Pole on 17 January 1912 to discover Norwegian Roald Amundsen had beaten them by 34 days. Scott, Edgar Evans, Edward Wilson, Henry Robertson Bowers and Lawrence Oates died in March, on the return journey. Here Dr Edward Wilson is seen sketching on Beardmore Glacier on 13 December 1911.
A pony camp on Greta Ice Barrier, 19 November 1911. Left to right are Snippetts, Nobby, Michael and Jimmy Pigg. Scott's photographs were developed in the Antarctic by geologist Frank Debenham who later became the founding director of the SPRI. Expedition members took them back to the UK after the death of Scott and his team. They were eventually sold to a photographic agency who in turn sold them to a private collector.
The 109 photographs will be conserved and put online to mark the 100th anniversary of the expedition team reaching the South Pole. The collection includes this image of a team floundering in soft snow. Left to right are Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Henry Robertson Bowers, Patrick Keohane, Tom Crean and Edward Wilson, on Beardmore Glacier, 13 December 1911.
While on Beardmore Glacier, Scott captured this panoramic shot of Socks Glacier to Mount Fox, on 13 December 1911. He was taught photography by the official expedition photographer, Herbert Ponting, whose collection of 1,700 glass-plate negatives of the expedition were bought by the SPRI in 2004.
The collection of photographs, which document the first part of the journey to the South Pole, include this shot of the team camp under the Wild Mountains, Beardmore Glacier, taken on 20 December 1911. The images will be reunited with Scott's camera, which was given to the SPRI by the late Lady Philippa Scott, the wife of Capt Scott's son, in 2008.