Bristol house fire: Praise for rescue help neighbours
The step-grandfather of a three-year-old boy critically injured in a house fire has thanked the neighbours who helped rescue the family.
Paul Tree said Harry had undergone a five-hour operation for burns at Frenchay Hospital.
The family was woken early on Saturday and discovered the fire in the front room of the property in Lodge Hill in the Cossham area of Bristol.
Neighbours helped get nine people, including four children and a baby out.
"John (the father) realised Harry was still missing so he broke the window and found him crouched down between burning sofas," said Mr Tree.
"Harry is on a life support machine and will need more operations in future.
"His mum and dad haven't left his bedside."'Suitcase of toys'
Mr Tree said he wanted to thank the neighbours who helped get the family out of the house.
He also thanked the fire service and staff at the specialist burns unit at Frenchay Hospital where Harry is being treated.
Avon Fire and Rescue said the incident was not being treated as suspicious.
"The family had no contents insurance at all, so they lost absolutely everything," said Mr Tree, who has started collecting donations from the public.
"The children have got no toys, no clothes, no beds - nothing. Just the clothes they stand in."
Amanda Ramsay heard Mr Tree's appeal on BBC Radio Bristol.
"I got on to Twitter and Facebook and hit the email list of some local mums," she said.
"Basically we've got together all sorts of things now - clothes and toys. Even a South Wales family have put together a suitcase of toys."