Elderly woman rescued in Wolverhampton house explosion
- 28 December 2015
- From the section Birmingham & Black Country
A 76-year-old woman has been rescued from rubble after her home was destroyed in an explosion caused by a suspected gas leak.
The woman, who was trapped for about two hours at the house on Penn Road, Wolverhampton, suffered minor injuries.
A West Midlands Ambulance spokesperson said the woman appeared "to have been saved by her washing machine holding back additional rubble and timbers".
The road remains shut and police have told the public to avoid the area.
One man who lives nearby said: "Our house just shook - we woke up immediately and my partner was screaming and we thought there was something a lot closer. We heard sirens going off for about 30 minutes.
"It took me a second to work out what had happened, I walked down to have a look, and I could see the two other houses - but the house wasn't there. It was just rubble."
Two neighbours and a taxi driver, who witnessed the explosion as he was driving past, were treated for shock.
There is debris on the street, which has been shut between Lonsdale Road and Claremont Road.
Emergency services advised the public to avoid the area.