HMP Oakwood prisoner Edward Ham dies after ambulance delay

Edward Ham Edward Stephen Ham was sentenced to six years in prison for drugs offences

Related Stories

A prison inmate died after it took staff almost an hour to call an ambulance, an inquest has heard.

Edward Stephen Ham, 54, was declared dead in his cell at HMP Oakwood, near Wolverhampton, in February 2013.

South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh ruled Ham had died of natural causes after receiving "sub optimal medical care".

He said a "mix up" between officers and the prison control room meant it took about 50 minutes for 999 to be dialled.

Returning his verdict at Stafford Coroners' Court, Mr Haigh said: "There were a number of failures before and after his death but they should not be considered as gross."

The inquest heard that Ham was taking medication to treat his high blood pressure.

He complained of having chest pains to prison officers at the G4S-operated prison in Featherstone at about 03:30 GMT on 6 February 2012.

He was found collapsed in his cell at 04:52 GMT but the ambulance did not arrive until 06:06 GMT, the inquest heard.

HMP Oakwood HMP Oakwood, which is the UK's largest privately-run prison, opened near Wolverhampton in April 2012

A solicitor representing his fiance, Gloria Payne, and his son, David Ham, said they were considering legal action against G4S and the healthcare trusts responsible for HMP Oakwood.

Charlotte Measures, from Anthony Collins solicitors, said: "Prisoners are entitled to exactly the same standard of healthcare as is available in the community but there were serious failings in this case."

A spokeswoman for G4S said: "We regret the tragic death of Mr Ham and offer our condolences to his family during what has been a very difficult time for them.

"We note the coroner's verdict of death from natural causes and his conclusion that there was no neglect on the part of G4S."

Ham had been sentenced to six years in jail for drugs offences in May 2012.

He was sent to HMP Birmingham in Winson Green, then transferred to HMP Oakwood in November 2012.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Birmingham & Black Country



23 °C 15 °C

BBC Local Live

    Trojan Horse: No criminal investigation 08:27: Kath Stanczyszyn Political reporter, BBC WM

    West Midlands Police says there will be no Trojan Horse criminal investigation following the recently published Clarke Report into the alleged takeover of certain Birmingham schools by hardline Muslims.

    Information is "still being assessed" though.

    Travel updates 08:17:

    Two lanes are closed and there's queuing traffic on the M42 northbound between J7a M6 and J8 M6 because of over-running roadworks. Travel time is about 25 minutes and there's congestion to J6, A45 (Birmingham Airport).

    There are also delays in and around Birmingham city centre because of the planned tunnel closures. See BBC Travel News for more.

    Brighter later 08:07:

    A mainly fine and dry day once again. Often fairly cloudy through the morning, but becoming brighter with some warm sunny spells into the afternoon and early evening.


    See BBC Weather for more information.

    Good morning 08:00: Ed Barlow BBC Local Live

    I'll be bringing you the latest news, sport, weather and travel throughout the day for Birmingham and the Black Country.

    You can get in touch by emailing



BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.