Niamh McGroarty from Acocks Green
Media playback is unsupported on your device

Mum calls for chemical MI to be banned

10 April 2014 Last updated at 16:30 BST

The mother of a seven-year-old from Birmingham is calling for a chemical found in hundreds of everyday products to be banned, after her daughter developed an allergy.

Sheila Armstrong, from Acocks Green, says her daughter Niamh McGroarty suffers from a painful rash as a result of the ingredient MI, which is short for methylisothiazolinone, found in cosmetics and cleaning products.

Holly Lewis spoke to Mrs Armstrong, Helen Cotterill, the deputy head at Cottesbrooke Primary School and Dr Donna Thompson, consultant dermatologist.