Kalsi Plastics in Birmingham fined after worker loses fingers
- 6 January 2014
- From the section Birmingham & Black Country
A plastics firm has been ordered to pay more than £8,000 after a worker severed four fingers in a circular saw.
Kalsi Plastics (UK) Ltd bosses appeared at Birmingham Magistrates Court and admitted breaching safety rules.
An investigation revealed a motor had not been fitted with an injection brake so the saw rotated for about five minutes after the stop button was pushed.
The firm said it had taken steps to improve safety since the accident.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said the incident happened on 10 August when Ajaib Singh Sandhu, stopped the machine to clear a blockage.
The blade automatically moved from its operating position to its maintenance position without Mr Sandhu realising and it came into contact with his fingers, it said.
It said the 41-year-old from Sparkhill has been unable to return to work.
HSE inspector Pam Folsom said: "This incident could have been prevented and a man spared from suffering painful, life-changing injuries had there been measures in place to bring the blade to a halt sooner."
The firm, of Tomey Road, Tyseley, which makes products including guttering, was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay £2,418 costs.
A statement from Kalsi Plastics described the accident as "very unfortunate" and said it had a good health and safety record.
"The judge accepted that our responsibility was limited and that the actions of our employee who was injured on the day were not predictable," it said.
"However, with the benefit of hindsight having investigated the incident, additional steps were identified and implemented to existing procedures which could have been taken before the accident which could have prevented the injury."