Media playback is unsupported on your device

Wolverhampton toddler's heroin death was 'avoidable'

20 December 2013 Last updated at 15:29 GMT

A toddler who died from a heroin overdose may have been saved if agencies involved with the family had recognised the risks, a report has said.

Daniel Jones, aged 23 months, collapsed at home in Penn, Wolverhampton, in May 2012 and died later in hospital.

His parents, who were heroin addicts, have been jailed.

A serious case review by the Wolverhampton Safeguarding Children Board said Daniel could have been saved.

It said it was well known the parents were drug users but this was not identified as a risk to the toddler.

Most watched

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.