Sean Cleathero: Jury in manslaughter trial discharged
- 11 August 2014
- From the section Beds, Herts & Bucks
The jury in the trial of three men accused of killing a bodybuilder who drank a toxic herbicide has been discharged.
Sean Cleathero, 28, from High Wycombe, died in 2012 after ingesting a liquid containing the drug dinitrophenol.
The jury at the Old Bailey had cleared Jason King, 41, and Peter Purkins, 47, of manslaughter but could not reach a verdict for Jamie Chivers, 44.
Mr Chivers will face a retrial in September.
Mr Cleathero died in Wycombe Hospital on 16 October, hours after drinking the liquid at a gym in the town.
Mr Chivers, of Spring Gardens Road, High Wycombe, had denied manslaughter but admitted perverting the course of justice as well as the production and supply of anabolic steroids, a class C drug.
Mr King, of Hazell Road, Great Missenden, was cleared of manslaughter but still faces a charge of perverting the course of justice.
He will go on trial in February.
Mr King and Mr Purkins also still face charges of the supply and production of class C drugs.
The jury had found Laura Hague, 23, of Orchard Grove, Chalfont St Peter, guilty of supplying class C drugs and perverting the course of justice by removing evidence.
She was remanded in custody, to be sentenced at a later date.
Dinitrophenol (DNP) is not a controlled drug because it has a legitimate use as an insecticide or herbicide, but it is not fit for human consumption.