Newport Pagnell warehouse fire started 'accidentally'

Amateur footage shows huge plumes of thick smoke billowing from the site of the fire

Related Stories

A blaze that destroyed a warehouse in Buckinghamshire started accidentally, a fire service inquiry has said.

The Liebherr Distribution Centre in Newport Pagnell collapsed when a cardboard and polystyrene fire gutted its main building on Wednesday.

Fire and rescue station manager Ian Wilson said crews would remain on site as the remains were still smouldering.

Clouds of smoke were released and people were told to stay inside because of the risk from "poisonous gases".

Phillip Harris, who lives next to the warehouse, said it would be some time before things would return to normal.

He saw the building collapse in the flames and said: "We panicked at first because it was such a big fire and so close to the house.

"There's only the space where we park our cars separating our house from the fire."

All the 20 people inside the building were accounted for and were unharmed.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Beds, Herts & Bucks

Weather

Luton

Min. Night 6 °C

Features

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.