Newport Pagnell warehouse fire: Crews remaining on site
- 16 January 2014
- From the section Beds, Herts & Bucks
Firefighters are still tackling a blaze at a warehouse in Buckinghamshire more than 24 hours after it broke out.
The Liebherr Distribution Centre in Newport Pagnell was gutted when cardboard and polystyrene caught fire.
Fire and rescue station manager Ian Wilson said crews would remain on site until the fire was confirmed as "out".
Phillip Harris, who lives next to the warehouse, said he saw the building collapse in flames.
He said: "We panicked at first because it was such a big fire and so close to the house.
"There's only the space where we park our cars separating our house from the fire.
"The wind was blowing the smoke away from us, but when the wind started to drop the smoke came a lot closer. The warehouse was full of fridges."
Clouds of smoke were released and local people were told to stay indoors because of the risk from "poisonous gases".
The fire service said that advice was lifted during the evening.
"We thought at one point they might have to evacuate our whole street, but in the end that didn't happen," Mr Harris said.
"There was a terrific heat being given out and the noise, well it was phenomenal. It is still smoking and smouldering now."
About 60 firefighters were called to the premises at Renny Park Road, close to junction 14 of the M1, on Wednesday morning.
All the 20 people inside the building were accounted for and were unharmed.